Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Programs Help You and Your Employees
May 3, 2023
By Scott Lyon, originally published in SBAM’s Focus Magazine
Chances are pretty high that someone in your life struggles with diabetes or is trying to quit tobacco. Did you know that if your company is a Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (BCBSM) customer, there are programs aimed directly at these health issues? BCBSM knows living with diabetes can be challenging, and quitting tobacco is very difficult, which is why they have two new programs.
Take Charge of Your Diabetes and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan’s Tobacco Coaching programs are aimed directly at the effort to improve the lives of your employees – and maybe also save a few claims dollars along the way.
The BCBSM Take Charge program now includes Livongo Diabetes Management and is available at no cost to you, your covered employees and their dependents who have Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes. This program makes living with diabetes easier with free convenient resources, including:
- A smart glucometer that automatically uploads blood sugar readings, making logbooks a thing of the
- Provides unlimited lancets and test strips delivered directly to the home.
- One-on-one, 24/7 coaching from certified diabetes educators who are ready to answer questions and give tips on nutrition, lifestyle and All available right from the comfort of home.
If you know someone that can benefit from this program, please have them call Livongo at 800.945.4355 or visit join. livongo.com/BLUECROSSMi-START/register. The registration code is BLUECROSSMI-START.
If you’ve ever been a smoker, you know that quitting tobacco products can be difficult. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan’s Tobacco Coaching program, powered by WebMD, is designed to help. This program provides the support and resources needed to establish and embrace a tobacco-free life. The 12-week program includes over-the-counter phone coaching for quitting all types of tobacco products, including e-cigarettes and other vaping devices. Best of all, it’s free to you.
To be eligible for the program you must:
- Be ready to set a quit date within the next 30 days.
- Have used a tobacco product within the past seven days of your initial call to WedMD.
When you engage in the program, you’ll receive:
- Five calls from a specially trained health coach over a 12-week period.
- Unlimited calls to a health coach.
- Online resources.
Additionally, about seven months after the programs ends, the health coach will reach out to gauge progress.
Health coaches are available seven days a week, so it’s easy to schedule your coaching appointments at a time that’s convenient. Health coaches are available:
- Monday through Thursday: 9:00 am-11:30 pm
- Friday: 9:00 am-8:00 pm
- Saturday: 9:30 am-6 pm
- Sunday: 1:00 pm-11:30 pm
*All times are Eastern Standard Time
Call 1.855.326.5102 to schedule the first Tobacco Coaching session.
WebMD Health Services is an independent company sup- porting Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan by providing health and well-being services.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network are nonprofit corporations and independent licensees of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association.