Criminal Justice Reform
SBAM supports criminal justice reforms that identify and treat the core drivers or causes of criminal activities, including treatment and jail diversion when appropriate. SBAM also supports helping returning citizens to get back on their feet and reintegrate into the community by increasing employment opportunities. Such policies should not hinder or infringe upon a businesses’ pre-employment practices. Examples of these policies include support for:
- Expanding eligibility for citizens to petition for expungement
- Shortening the eligibility waiting period for expungement of misdemeanor offenses
- Treatment and specialty courts, such as Drug Courts, Sobriety Courts, Mental Health Courts and Veteran Courts
- Education and skills development for jail and prison inmates
- Job placement services for returning citizens
- Changing sentencing guidelines to include explicit incentives to encourage incarcerated individuals to participate in rehabilitative programing and stay free of violations while in the Corrections system.