SBAM annual meeting features Gov. Snyder, “brand building”, new officers and board members
June 18, 2015
Nearly 350 small business owners and supporters attended the Small Business Association of Michigan’s (SBAM) 46th annual meeting on June 18 in Lansing.
A highlight of the event was an appearance by Gov. Snyder to announce a collaboration between Pure Michigan Business Connect and SBAM to conduct a Sept. 22 Matchmaking Summit. The event in Livonia will connect hundreds of small Michigan companies with business opportunities and resources around the state.
SBAM recognized Sen. Margaret O’Brien of Kalamazoo as its Legislator of the Year. SBAM honored Lorri Rishar, co-owner of Edge Partnerships of Lansing, as Advocate of the Year.
The annual meeting included a panel discussion on “brand building” that featured representatives of iconic Michigan small business. The discussion was moderated by past SBAM chair Cynthia Kay of Cynthia Kay and Company of Grand Rapids, and featured Dave Engbers, CoFounder/President of Founders Brewing Company in Grand Rapids; Jen Guarino, Vice President of Leather-Shinola in Detroit; and Bob Jacquart, CEO of Jacquart Fabric Products (Stormy Kromer) in Ironwood.
2015-16 SBAM board officers were introduced at the event:
• Chair: Jerry Grubb, Wee Discover Child Daycare & Enrichment Center, Waterford
• 1st Vice Chair: Kathie Fuce-Hobohm, SPACE, Inc., Midland
• 2nd Vice Chair: Russ Knopp, Comfort Keepers, Traverse City
• Treasurer: Milan Gandhi, Med-Share, Inc., Southfield
• Secretary: Chad Paalman, NuWave Technology Partners, Lansing
• Immediate Past Chair: Bonnie Alfonso, Alfie – Logo Gear, Traverse City
The 2015-16 board members were announced:
• Anita Abrol, Lewis & Knopf CPAs, P.C., Flint
• Eric Brogan, Brogan, Reed, Van Gorder & Associates, East Lansing
• Mike Busley, Grand Traverse Pie Company, Traverse City
• Rebecca Cox, The Savant Group, Midland
• Janice DuMouchelle, DuMouchelle Art Galleries, Detroit
• David Fant, Market Mapping Plus, Kentwood
• Doyle Hayes, dhayesGroup, Grand Rapids
• Park Kersman, Lorin Industries, Muskegon
• Bill Kimble, C2AE, Lansing
• Jeff Magowan, Garceau Wenick-Kutz Magowan Insurance Agency, Escanaba
• Dr. Jeffrey Miller, Miller Vein, Troy
• Lorri Rishar, Edge Partnerships, Lansing
• Marie Seipenko, Preferred Solutions, Inc., Northville
• Bob Spence, Spence Brothers, Traverse City
• Erick Stewart, STEWART Industries, Battle Creek (new board member)
• Sue Tellier, JetCo Solutions, Grand Rapids
• Sheri Welsh, Welsh & Associates, Kalamazoo (new board member)