SBAM annual meeting features Legislator of the Year, candidate forum, new officers and board members
June 20, 2014
Over 350 small business owners and supporters attended the Small Business Association of Michigan’s (SBAM) 45th annual meeting on June 19 in Lansing.
SBAM recognized Sen. Mike Kowall as its Legislator of the Year. “Sen. Kowall has been a champion for small business during his years in both the state house and state senate,” said SBAM President and CEO Rob Fowler. “His excellent voting record on small business issues demonstrates his willingness to fight for the success of Michigan’s entrepreneurial economy.”
SBAM honored Cynthia Kay, Cynthia Kay and Company, Grand Rapids, as Advocate of the Year and John Bebow, director of Bridge, the online magazine of the Center for Michigan, as Communicator of the Year.
A Candidate Forum with Gov. Rick Snyder, gubernatorial candidate, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters, U.S. Senate candidate, Mark Schauer, gubernatorial candidate and Terri Lynn Land, U.S. Senate candidate, was also conducted.
2014-15 SBAM board officers were introduced at the event:
- Bonnie Alfonso, Alfie – Logo Gear for Work & Play, Traverse City as chair.
- 1st Vice Chair Jerry Grubb, Wee Discover Child Daycare & Learning Center, Waterford
- 2nd Vice Chair: Kathie Fuce-Hobohm, SPACE, Inc., Midland
- Secretary: Chad Paalman, NuWave Technology Partners, Lansing
- Treasurer: Russ Knopp, Comfort Keepers, Traverse City
- Immediate Past Chair: Bob Fish, BIGGBY COFFEE
The 2014-15 board members were announced:
· Anita Abrol, Lewis & Knopf CPAs, P.C., Flint
· Eric Brogan, Brogan, Reed, Van Gorder & Associates, East Lansing
· Mike Busley, Grand Traverse Pie Company, Traverse City
· Rebecca Cox, The Savant Group, Midland
· Janice DuMouchelle, DuMouchelle Art Galleries, Detroit
· Larry Eiler, Eiler Communications, Ann Arbor
· David Fant, Market Mapping Plus, Kentwood
· Milan Gandhi, Med-Share, Inc., Southfield
· Doyle Hayes, dhayesGroup, Grand Rapids
· Park Kersman, Lorin Industries, Muskegon
· Bill Kimble, C2AE, Lansing
· Jeff Magowan, Garceau Wenick-Kutz Magowan Insurance Agency, Escanaba
· Dr. Jeffrey Miller, Miller Vein, Troy
· Lorri Rishar, Edge Partnerships, Lansing
· Bob Spence, Spence Brothers, Traverse City
· Marie Seipenko, Preferred Solutions, Inc., Northville
· Sue Tellier, JetCo Solutions, Grand Rapids
· Gary Tipton, FATHOM Works, St. Joseph