Skip to main content
Join Now

< Back to All

State Treasury Department Providing Tax Relief to Businesses Impacted by May 7 Severe Weather

May 28, 2024

With Gov. Gretchen Whitmer declaring a “state of emergency” for Kalamazoo, St. Joseph, Branch and Cass counties due to severe weather on May 7, the Michigan Department of Treasury is providing an opportunity for severe storm and tornado survivors to obtain tax relief.

Individual and business taxpayers who reside in the emergency area can request additional time to file state tax returns and pay state tax bills, with penalties and interest waived. These four southwest Michigan counties have been severely affected by strong winds and tornadoes, causing damage to homes, businesses and public infrastructure.

“Families and businesses in southwest Michigan need relief to recover from the severe storms and tornadoes,” said State Treasurer Rachael Eubanks. “Impacted individuals should not have to worry about paying a state tax bill or filing a state return – they need to focus on their recovery. If taxpayers need more time to file and pay because of the emergency, there will not be any late penalties or interest. We will get through this challenge together.”  

To request relief due to this emergency, individuals unable to meet filing or payment deadlines should contact Treasury at 517-636-4486. Businesses are asked to call 517-636-6925.

In addition, affected taxpayers may write to Treasury to request emergency-related tax relief. When writing, the following must be included in the correspondence:

  • Name and account number of the individual or business taxpayer.
  • Reason for the relief request.
  • Taxpayer address within one emergency area or address of the tax preparer located in the emergency area.

Taxpayers should send the completed correspondence to the following address:

Michigan Department of Treasury
Attn: Emergency Tax Relief
Lansing, Michigan 48922

Some taxpayers may receive a preliminary assessment notice before a tax relief request is formally received by Treasury. Taxpayers within the emergency area who receive these notices should contact Treasury by phone to resolve.

Share On: