Skip to main content
Join Now
Group of people raising their hands during a training analysis

< Back to All

Three Components Needed in a Training Analysis

October 16, 2023

Do you know if your team needs training? A training analysis involves a systematic process of gathering information and assessing various factors to determine the training needs of individuals or a group of employees in an organization. Here are three key components typically involved in a training analysis:

Analyzing the Organizational Context

Understanding the organizational environment, culture, and strategic goals is important in aligning the training program with the overall objectives of the organization. This analysis helps ensure that the training is relevant and contributes to the organization’s success. If this is unclear, perhaps a reboarding procedure is necessary before launching a new training initiative. However, if it is clear then begin crafting the training around mission vision and values.

Conducting Job Analysis

Examining the specific tasks, responsibilities, and competencies required for each job role helps identify the necessary training content and skills to be addressed. This involves conducting interviews, job observations, or reviewing job descriptions. Here is where you probably need to partner with your human resources department. Review of job descriptions usually falls on human resources in conjunction with your leadership team. Being clear about what each job description is and needs in terms of skill set is super important to understanding the objectives that you want you’re learning to accomplish with any training. It will also help to define what type of training is needed for a specific job.

Assessing Learner Needs

Understanding the learners’ characteristics, preferences, and learning styles helps tailor the training program to their specific needs. This can be done through surveys, interviews, or assessments to gather information about their prior knowledge, skills, and learning preferences. This is an important factor simply because most learners have no idea. Through interviews, surveys, or assessments you will be helping the learner to figure out how they learn best. This is also important for you because you want to make sure that your training is successful and that the learner is able to take back as much information as possible from the formal training event.

By conducting a comprehensive training analysis, organizations can identify the specific training needs, design effective programs, and ensure that the training efforts are aligned with the overall organizational goals, resulting in enhanced performance and productivity. Remember that facilitation of a class or online learning is only 10% of the learners’ understanding through training. The other 90% is made up of informal training which sometimes is referred to as on-the-job training and job shadowing, where a learner watches the new task done and ask questions for complete understanding based off of the training they received.

By Clifton Clarke, courtesy of SBAM-approved partner, ASE.


Click here for more News & Resources.

Share On: